[crossfire] Quests mechanism ideas

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Mon Jan 18 11:39:47 CST 2010

> - Yes, there should be some in game mechanism to see quests I've signed up
> for. This is purely a convenience function - sure, in real life, there
> isn't a list floating about saying everything I have to do, but this is a
> game.  If there is no such list, then more likely I'll end up having to
> write stuff down out of game, which IMO isn't good.  In the past some folks
> have said that crossfire should be more immersive and played full screen,
> but if in order to track stuff I need to record things out of game, that
> will remove some of the immersion.

Done for quests.
Coming soon for more general knowledge.
And hopefully client-side explicite interfaces could be added to make it more
game-like and less text-like.

>   Note that some of the quests may be more or less explicit in what to do.
> I could imagine some NPC saying 'if you kill a bunch of orcs, I'll do ...'.
>  Under a quest, that could be listed as something like 'orc bounty', and
> description is to kill a bunch of orcs, but up to player to figure out how
> to do that, and may have to explicitly go back to the quest giver to see if
> they have done a sufficient job.

Up to the quest designer :)

>   I'd note that alchemy currently has this problem - if you find a formula,
> you need to record it out of game, which IMO isn't good.

Will be fixed as soon as I clean my code :)

>   - For active quests, probably easiest to only do one active one, if that
> is giving hints (like map locations).  Otherwise, if you are trying to give
> map locations for 3 different ones, you need some way to clarify what hint
> is for what quest.

Yup.

>   OTOH, this could be more a client/interface issue.  The quest information
> as transmitted to the client could contain this map hint, but it is up to
> the client to know how to display it, and if it can display multiple points
> at once, maybe let it do so?

Yup too.

>   I guess the question might be whether the server actually cares what the
> active quest is or not.

Right now, no - quest functions I added a low-level, and don't concern at all
with this kind of things.

>   - One other note, which isn't listed, but isn't not listed either -
> multiple exclusion quests.  Eg, both the fighter and wizard guild may have
> a quest to do something, but because they are competing interests, should
> only be possible to complete one of them.  What this means:
>   - It may be possible to get both of them given to you, but once you
> complete one of them, the other is automatically removed from lists of
> quests. - If you have completed one of them, you can't get assigned the
> other one.

Quest design issue, up to quest writers :)

> - Last point:  It may be worthwhile to note if a quest is repeatable or
> single instance.  I'd think most can only be done once, but I could imagine
> a few where you could repeatedly do so.  Maybe this is just a definition of
> quest states.

Same, up to quest writers :)

Nicolas
--