[crossfire] account login thoughts/ideas

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Jan 21 00:23:27 CST 2010

  So as noted someplace, my thoughts for login is this:
You log in with account name & password.
You then see list of characters associated with that account, and options to add
new one.

  In that list of characters, what would useful information be?  My thoughts
right now:

-name (obviously)
-class & race
-level
-face (not as much useful, but gives something nice for the client to show)

  Anyone have other thoughts?

  My thought also is that to gather that information by reading in the player
files may be a bit time consuming (on one hand, we can stop reading once we get
the desired data.  But the other is that if a player has 10 characters on an
account, that is 10 files to open, look for that data, etc).  So my thought
would be to store this someplace else - perhaps a flat file for each account
that lists those attributes, and update that file whenever the player logs out
with that character.  That way it is fairly fast.

  One other concern (unrelated to above) is account management/spamming.  Since
one can easily create new accounts without human interaction, I could see some
malicious person writing code that creates hundreds/thousands of accounts.

  My thought here is that an account with no characters associated just gets
removed (or more precisely, just not saved out) - in this way, an account needs
characters associated, and that takes more time (a new character would have to
get created) - at that point, I think any malicious attack would take
sufficiently long to not be worthwhile.  Especially if we don't consider a
character valid until it gets some exp total (that is sort of done, but sort of
not done right now.  If you try to use a savebed, it puts a minimum check there,
but if you just disconnect, it will save you regardless of exp I believe)