[crossfire] Character names, was Re: Changing connection texts

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Jan 21 00:29:45 CST 2010

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

>>   The release methodology sort of needs to be sorted out - if we plan to do
>> a lot of cleanup (which may break things), I'd sort of like to do that
>> before the first rc - typically you make an rc when you think you are about
>> ready and are trying to sort out bugs.
>>
>>   Otherwise, I could see various servers running that, and then when rc2,
>> suddenly a lot more stuff gets broken because of code cleanup, which isn't
>> really the way to move.
>
> We need someone willing to decide what needs to be fixed, and enforce the
> rules, create branches, things like that.
> Though to be honest, I'd suggest we just take current code, label it "1.90",
> and see what happens.

  Even the old method of just releasing something every few months with version
number++ worked out reasonably good.

  There was never a perfect version, but new features got out there, bugs would
be found, etc.

  I might be more inclined to call it version 1.50 - the trunk has moved quite a
bit from 1.12, but is still compatible with it (the way some things work is
different).  I'm not sure what the goal for 2.0 is - needs to be something
realistic, but I could also see that where we are may be half way there.

  then every few months, make a new release - 1.51, 1.52, or maybe skip going to
1.60, 1.70, etc. if significant changes.