[crossfire] Character names, was Re: Changing connection texts

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Mon Jan 18 11:31:20 CST 2010

>   I don't like the idea of putting an actual exit in the code or something
> - that could be pretty annoying if it is a section of code not executed
> very often, but someone runs into and causes the server to exit (really
> annoying for server admins who servers suddenly start exiting through no
> fault of their own)
>
>   #ifdefs, if done on date, can at least be interesting - if the code
> ceases to compile, pretty clear something needs to be done, but at least
> running servers won't be directly affected.
>
>   I wonder if just standardizing a comment to use might work - something
> like:
>
>   /* Removeme - 2010-06-01
>
>   (not sure if the date should be the time of the comment, or targeted time
> to remove the code).  At least in that way, a simple grep can be used to
> find all of those, and decide which of them qualify for removal.

I was thinking of an exit() in the main() function directly, with a pointer to
the code to remove :p

>   The release methodology sort of needs to be sorted out - if we plan to do
> a lot of cleanup (which may break things), I'd sort of like to do that
> before the first rc - typically you make an rc when you think you are about
> ready and are trying to sort out bugs.
>
>   Otherwise, I could see various servers running that, and then when rc2,
> suddenly a lot more stuff gets broken because of code cleanup, which isn't
> really the way to move.

We need someone willing to decide what needs to be fixed, and enforce the
rules, create branches, things like that.
Though to be honest, I'd suggest we just take current code, label it "1.90",
and see what happens.

>   Probably so - and in the case of some patches/contributions, need to
> figure out if we're going to accept them or not - no reason for them to
> just sit in limbo.

Yup, not nice for people.

Nicolas
--