[crossfire] Release?

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Mar 15 23:26:58 CDT 2010

On 03/15/10 12:41 PM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
<snip>
>>    Target release for end of March or so.  Are there any must fix bugs to be
>> dealt with?  I hope to have the new account login stuff done soon, but I've
>> been saying that for months :(
>

> The recent object_free2() and object_free_drop_inventory() changes could have
> issues.
> Not necessarily critical, but some things to keep in mind.
>

> Ideally, we'd make a 1.5 branch on which we'd fix bugs before and after
> release, while works goes on trunk...
> But then there are too many branches already :)

  Yes, that is the ideal case, especially if there is lots of active development.

  If there isn't, it is simpler to just freeze the trunk gate for anything but
bug fixes needed for the 1.50 release.  That way quality can get better, without
the overhead of a branch, potentially needing to do merges (a fix in trunk
needing to get in for the 1.50 release or vice versa), etc.

  The other thing is we don't typically make patches a release, so the branch
isn't that useful in that area - instead, we just say it will be fixed in the
next release.  If we do releases on a regular basis, that isn't that bad.