[crossfire] Healthbars

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Mar 20 23:14:41 CDT 2010

On 03/19/10 11:24 AM, Brendan Lally wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The following is a proposed addition to the crossfire protocol to
> enable the clients to show monster health bars.

  Just a note, this was discussed several years back, and at that time, there
was concern that that 'gives away' information to the player that perhaps should
not be given away (how close a monster is to death as an example, or fast
regeneration).

  I don't know if we still consider that a concern or not - I know lots of other
games show something similar, but is something I thought I'd mention.

<snip>
> In order to implement this, the following is altered.
>
> A setup command 'healthbars' is added, if a client request it with
> argument '1' then the server will send healthbar information to the
> client, if they do not, then there is no visible change.
> 	[Possible expansion, if the setup flag is sent and confirmed,
> 	expect that the client will ignore attack messages ('you cut
> 	foo', 'you miss foo', etc)]

  I'd have the player ignore attack messages be some option.  While for the most
part, they are not needed, I don't know there are some attack messages which you
would care about (I'm not 100% sure what all messages fall into the attack
category).  But dropping them all could result in information not being
displayed that is important.

  While one could rightfully argue that too many options are a bad thing, I'd
better like to see the impact if the client ignore the messages before making it
standard.

> The map2 command is extended to have another type of data that may be
> sent. type 4 is a healthbar. There follow 2 bytes, the first is the
> hitpoints as a proportion of maxhp, the second is the flags that apply
> to the hitpoint bar.

  I haven't looked in detail, but it sounds like this information is now space
specific (eg, this space has flags 0x02 and hp 0x40).  Is that correct?

> The healthbar is sent for an alive creature that is either a monster or
> a player. It is sent whenever a face changes on the square, or always
> if the creature is below their maximum health. The client should show
> healthbars until the information for the square is updated.

  I'm a little concerned about sending it all the time if creature is not at
full health.  Maybe with modern connections, the bandwidth isn't a concern, but
there are still lots of maps with large mobs of monsters - I could imagine them
getting hit with a burning hands, and now sending update for all those monsters
every tick (while the 3 bytes for the data isn't bad, there are additional bytes
needed for each space to denote the coordinates, etc).

  If this is a per space attribute, it would be better to cache that data - both
in the map structure itself (so fast to fetch) and in socket structure that
holds the player map.

  In that way, server would only need to send data if it has changed in any way.

> The first byte has a value between 0 and 255, 128 means that the
> creature is at full health, above that means the creature is above max
> health (which doesn't normally happen, but potentially might be
> possible) 128 has been chosen because it is a multiple of 32 (the size
> of the tile), so calculating the length of a bar should be trivial for
> clients.

  IIRC, the java client resizes tiles to match the screen resolution.  I'd also
think that in most cases, you want to leave at least one pixel border so if you
have 2 monsters next to each other, the stat bars don't run together.

  I think expressing that number as a percentage (100 being full health) is a
bit more intuitive, and doesn't really make processing harder on the client side
(it's all math).

> The second byte provides information about the flags that apply to the
> creature, this is a bitmask, currently the values that are used are:
>
> Bit 1, creature is another player or belongs to another player.
> Bit 2, creature is friendly (someone's pet)

  Note there are cases where monsters are set friendly but are not pets

> Bit 3, creature is unaggressive (townsfolk and the like)
>
> Clients are required to ignore any additional flags that they do not
> understand.

  When you say ignore, does that mean they should just ignore the flags, or
ignore this HP total all together?  Doesn't matter much to me either way, but
that should be clarified.

  Would it make sense to expressly set a bit for monsters (instead of assuming
if no bits are set, it is a monster?)  Would it also make sense of instead of
using a bitmask here, to actually enumerate the values (1=monster, 2=player,
3=this players pet, 4=another players pet, 5=door, 6=..., etc)?  I'm just
thinking that with a bitmask, you pretty quickly run out of bits if you start
adding other things.  One way the map command handled this for some things was
the low order bits were enumerated value, high order bits were the bitmask, and
they worked towards each other (so first bitmask was 0x80, and the enumeration
may have had a max of 15 types.  In that way, if the enumeration needed to grow,
it could, and if the bitmask needed to, it could go to 0x40, etc).

  Or for that matter, might want to make note that 0x80 is reserved, and denotes
that another flag value follows, so you build in some expansion just in case you
run out of bits.

> The remaining bits are reserved for later use, the intention being that
> they should correspond to effects that are on the creature in some way.
>
> Provisionally, the suggestion is to include
> * Monster is moving slowly (slowed or paralysed)
> * Monster is poisoned
> * Monster has some form of beneficial effect working on them

  That last one is pretty vague - might want to break it down into protections,
attribute gains, etc.  I don't know.

  I also wonder, going back above to discussion about giving too much away, if
this should perhaps be limited to players/pets.  So you can easily monitor your
party members, but don't know that the monster just cast protection on
themselves (the monster AI is already pretty stupid - if players can visually
see if monster has beneficial spells, the monster code should get modified so
monster can 'figure out' if player has spells on them, what the best form of
attack the monster should use, etc).

  As an aside, should stat bar display perhaps be disabled on some maps (map
attribute)?  In particular, I'm thinking the arena, but I could also imagine
that maybe in some places where combat should not happen, there may not be much
reason to display it.

> Currently I have a working implementation against the server, and
> Ragnor has created a modification to jxclient to handle this, that
> leads to something like the following in use:
> 	http://imagebin.ca/view/wD2lvaI.html
>
> Since that screenshot was taken, some additional work has been done to
> change the colouring of the bars to reflect the flags that are sent.
> the creature has (eg, that sage has been hit, so is now hostile, should
> have a different colour to the non-hostile townsfolk)
> There may still need to be something done from a display perspective to
> have the bars offset to appear in the bottom of the cell
> above the creature's face (although I do not suggest using such an
> offset in the data sent from the server.).

  Right - it is really up to the client to figure out the best way to display
the data.

  If this becomes a default setting, then it may be that the correct answer is
to adjust the monster images, etc, so that there is space above the monsters
head for the stat bars.  I think from a player, it makes a lot more sense for
the stat bar to be above the monsters head, and not below their feet
(alternatively, you might be able to do it along the left side of the cell - for
many monsters, there may be more space there)

  Random question (and I know this is a pure client issue, so maybe something
Ragnar can answer it) - what do you do for big monsters, like trolls or titans?
  Size the statbar for the entire creature?

  I suppose an issue here is that the client doesn't know the relation of the
statbar to the image it goes with.  It would be screwy to display it just above
the creatures feet, but I don't know if the client otherwise would know what to
do with it.

  Other than those various comments, it all looks good to me, and IMO is worth
adding.  I think it may be better to wait until after the release in a week or
two to get more testing time, but depends on how much work it needs to be finished.