[crossfire] races, classes, and play style

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed May 5 00:06:36 CDT 2010

  Having played guild wars a lot, and aside from the pvp combat aspect, another
thing to do after completing the quests is to get titles.

  There are around 30-40 titles.  For some titles, just completing all the
quests will get you pretty close to maxing it out (most titles have different
levels as you accomplish things).

  There is a mix of different titles - some you get a decent way along just by
doing the main quests.  Some more track progress - for example, one needs keys
of varying value to open treasure chests (which themselves are fairly rare), and
one title tracks how many 'high end' treasure chests you have opened

  Another corresponds to complete exploration of the campaign, another related
to killing certain things in certain areas, etc.

  While most of these are really just grinding things out (going to map and
killing things), it at least provides some progress indicator.

  In a sense, one reason many folks try to max out exp in crossfire I think is
because it is the only real indicator of progress.

  Having alternative titles like this may provide something else for players to
focus on.  I imagine one could track all sorts of things in crossfire via plugins.

  Off the top of my head, one could have an alchemist type title track, which
instead of just recording amount of exp in the alchemy skill, tracks instead the
number of different alchemy formulas the character has successfully made.

  One could also have something like 'artifact finder' which tracks the number
of unique artifacts the character has had (this would likely require some work
to note what is a unique artifact).

  Now granted, these may just be titles that result in players slogging through
dungeons, but it is up to the players if they want to do that.