[crossfire] Quest system - Error reporting needs work

Kevin Bulgrien kbulgrien at att.net
Fri May 7 02:05:16 CDT 2010

I tried to play test some of the new quests tonight and nothing worked.  None
of the dialog paths did anything.  I could not get past go.

I looked in the server logs... no message whatsoever.

Something needs work.  So digging around, I find:

  python/dialog/dialog_check.py

I decide to see what it does:

  $ python python/dialog/dialog_check.py scorn/kar/gork.msg
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "python/dialog/dialog_check.py", line 11, in <module>
    import cjson
ImportError: No module named cjson

Ah...

Yeah, that should be reported to the server admin as a major error.  If the
quest system is going to start depending on this, then packaging, etc. needs
to make sure people know what is required to get basics of the game
operational.  So in my case, the package is probably python-cjson...

So then I wonder if the player shouldn't also be told too...

Let's try again...

:-)

# urpmi python-cjson

[trunk]$ python python/dialog/dialog_check.py scorn/kar/gork.msg
Error: No script to support action:  settoken Expected:  post/settoken.py
ERROR: verification of action file  post/settoken.py  failed for rule
1  condition  ['settoken', 'gork_speak', 'hoard']

Gaack!

[trunk] cd python/dialog
[dialog]$ python dialog_check.py ../../scorn/kar/gork.msg
checked  9 rules from file ../../scorn/kar/gork.msg Found  0  errors
and  0 warnings

Ok...

Umm... its a computer.  Can't it figure out where to look for its stuff?
It's only relative path...

:-)

Bleah... dialog still doesn't work...  Maybe I need to restart the server?

Going to bed...  Have to do this later.