[crossfire] Attributes/Stats

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sun May 16 02:40:43 CDT 2010

>   The one issue I sort of see with that is a lot of times
> fire/electricity/cold are not magical in nature.  So use int/pow/wis for a
> resistance on them seems a bit misplaced.
>
>   If I step into a lava pool, it is not magic.  Now pow itself being used
> for magic makes sense (it is in a sense how in tune you are with the
> magic, so if you're really in tune, should take less damage).  And lots of
> attacktypes are magic + something, so in those cases, taking the magic or
> fire (and maybe averaging them) could make sense.

Again, you could argue that if you're really tuned to magic, you can maintain
a protection field that slightly reduces damage :)

>   However, problem in that case is that if say fire is Dex, and magic is
> Pow, if I have a 20 dex and 1 pow, that is the same damage as if I have a
> 11 dex and 10 Pow.  If I'm a fighter type, in that case, I'd probably
> still like the high dex/low pow - result is the same, but high dex would
> help me out more the rest of the time.
>
>   However, that table is interesting, unfortunately it does no represent
> all the stats very well.  Cha still has no role.
>
>   One could quickly define different stats like:
> Strength: raw physical strength.
> Dex: Quickness/cat sense
> Con: Physical fitness/health/life force
> Int: Ability to think/reason - smarts
> Wis: Amount in touch with ones god, believe
> Pow: In touch with magic.
> Cha: ego, willpower, force of personality.

Then Cha could be used to resist various things?
Like resist paralyze? Or poison ("you concentrate to not be too affected by the
poison running in your blood).

>   With that, I would make some general changes:
> Magic: Pow
> Fire/Cold/Electricity: Dex (on idea nimbleness avoids damage).  I don't
> really see how being smart (int) would make one take less damage
> Drain, Turn Undead, Fear, Death, Life Stealing: Cha - you resist the effect
> from happening.
> Acid: Probbly dex for same reason as fire.
> Poison: Con - healthy body less resistant.
>
>   Note that some of the changes here are to give more importance to some
> other stats, like dex and cha.

I'd also tie Cha to NPC interaction, maybe a higher role than other stats.
That would be a way to penalise chars with low Cha.

Nicolas
--
Mon p'tit coin du web - http://nicolas.weeger.org