[crossfire] races

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sun May 16 02:58:34 CDT 2010

>   But one thing I was thinking about is what are appropriate races, from a
> game view standpoint, to make available.
>
>   For example, dwarves, elves, humans, half orcs, dragons, trolls, gnomes,
> northmen, and wraiths are all fairly common creatures in the world that the
> player will meet/fighter (not half orcs directly, but orcs).
>
>   However, some, like fenx, fireborn, halfling, quetzalcoatl and serpentmen
> are uncommon or non existent in the world/maps.  The only fireborn in the
> world are those that are characters.
>
>   Now in some cases, this may just be the fact that maps have not been
> created - there is no reason there couldn't be a lot of halflings about in
> various places - I think that is more a case of the race being added later
> (same for most of the other ones).
>
>   But from a world perspective, it is also a bit odd.  If the only
> fireborns in the world are floating about town, I think as a towns person
> I'd be a bit concerned/freaked out about that.

Or there could be some bonuses for that.
A Fenx would draw attention, and get more hints of quests than a human.
Or things like that.

>   But there are also some fairly common monsters that are not represented:
>
> beholders - way back when these were a custom addition for one server.  But
> these are also different in various ways.
>
> devils/demon: Fairly common, but townspeople probably wouldn't like them
> much either.  But maybe angels (something like god touched) creatures
> instead?

Considering the Crossfire pantheon, angels aren't better than devils here :)
So both would be ok.

> pixies: fairly common, and probably a race that could exist more commonly
> in towns without as much concern.
>
> one could add more humanoid races (goblins, ogre, kobold), but I think as
> it stands now, half orc and troll pretty much cover everything (but as a
> townperson, I'd be concerned with trolls wandering about)

It really depends on the world history. If for centuries goblins lived in
Scorn, then no issue.

Side proposal: race could change your starting town. Also, some towns could be
more used to various races.

> Maybe add some plant/tree type creature?  There are deathrees and ents in
> the world, so one could imagine having a tree creature.

Could be fun, and add specific attacks.
As a plant-like being, you can use tentacles to slow down your opponent. On
the other hand, you are really vulnerable to fire.

>   My general thought here is that it is hard to have a believable world if
> some of the starting races themselves don't really fit in/are not all that
> believable.  Now I suppose in many cases it would take new players a while
> to realize this, but I sometimes think that many new player races/classes
> are added more on the idea 'this is a neat idea' vs it actually fitting
> into the world that much.

That could be said of so many things it isn't fun :)
Most artifacts, map rewards or map themselves are put just because, not
integrating in a grand schema of things.
But that can be fixed, of course ;)

Nicolas
--
Mon p'tit coin du web - http://nicolas.weeger.org