[crossfire] races

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri May 14 01:11:28 CDT 2010

  Lost in some of the other discussion is races.

  For the most part, they don't need a lot of work - they give some stat bonuses
and some skills, but generally not weapon skills.

  But one thing I was thinking about is what are appropriate races, from a game
view standpoint, to make available.

  For example, dwarves, elves, humans, half orcs, dragons, trolls, gnomes,
northmen, and wraiths are all fairly common creatures in the world that the
player will meet/fighter (not half orcs directly, but orcs).

  However, some, like fenx, fireborn, halfling, quetzalcoatl and serpentmen are
uncommon or non existent in the world/maps.  The only fireborn in the world are
those that are characters.

  Now in some cases, this may just be the fact that maps have not been created -
there is no reason there couldn't be a lot of halflings about in various places
- I think that is more a case of the race being added later (same for most of
the other ones).

  But from a world perspective, it is also a bit odd.  If the only fireborns in
the world are floating about town, I think as a towns person I'd be a bit
concerned/freaked out about that.

  But there are also some fairly common monsters that are not represented:

beholders - way back when these were a custom addition for one server.  But
these are also different in various ways.

devils/demon: Fairly common, but townspeople probably wouldn't like them much
either.  But maybe angels (something like god touched) creatures instead?

pixies: fairly common, and probably a race that could exist more commonly in
towns without as much concern.

one could add more humanoid races (goblins, ogre, kobold), but I think as it
stands now, half orc and troll pretty much cover everything (but as a
townperson, I'd be concerned with trolls wandering about)

Maybe add some plant/tree type creature?  There are deathrees and ents in the
world, so one could imagine having a tree creature.

  My general thought here is that it is hard to have a believable world if some
of the starting races themselves don't really fit in/are not all that
believable.  Now I suppose in many cases it would take new players a while to
realize this, but I sometimes think that many new player races/classes are added
more on the idea 'this is a neat idea' vs it actually fitting into the world
that much.