[crossfire] Attributes/Stats

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat May 22 06:14:21 CDT 2010

>   That was my thought - make Cha relevant for some things, like paralyze,
> slow. I'm not sure about poison (if you are poisoned and it is interfering
> with the body functions, not sure what willpower could do).
>
>   However, one could also add some new abilities - for example a beserk
> type attack mode (faster, do more damage, etc), but duration is based on
> Cha or something - basically the idea is that you are pushing your body
> (or mind for perhaps some spell related ones) beyond the point where most
> people would just quit.

Maybe, then, "Cha" could be renamed to "Willpower", or something like that, to
better reflect such uses.
Nitpick :)

"you impress your enemy so much it forgets to try avoiding your attack and
gets hit with a critical attack"

>   That was sort of related to my idea in the skills discussion that
> character get certain bonuses to their attributes at certain levels.  It
> is really a semantic difference between the skill giving a +1 to dex, or
> giving the character a real stat increase.
>
>   Also possible that maybe grant stat point in associated skills - eg, for
> combat, could be str, dex, con attributes (player choice), and for magic is
> is pow, int, ws, etc.

Or something like 'each successfully cast spell gives you a 0.0001% chance of
improving your Wis' - for hardcore playing characters, they'd have some
increase.

>   That makes a lot of sense - it also means a high level character can't
> give a new character a pile of potions to get 30 stats.

Another option is to have potions at the end of a quest, given by a NPC
specifically for you, no one else can use it.

>   It would probably be nice for stat potions to be very rare - they are
> hardly common now (IMO), but I think some of the issue is that at some
> point, players don't have a lot of use for them (stats are maxed), so they
> just get piled up. I wonder if there was always potential for characters
> to improve their stats if that would effectively reduce the seemingly high
> numbers of them.

Make them alchemy-only items, with rare ingredients and high level
requirement?

>   It's a tricky balancing point - if the percent was 1% of it working, then
> folks probably wouldn't take those odds.
>
>   But I think the real fix is to reduce the frequency - make them really
> rare.
>
>   Or maybe do something like potions of life - have different level
> versions? So you have a less stat improvement potion, that works for the
> first 10 improvements, a moderate one for the first 20, etc, with the top
> one (unlimited stats) being incredibly rare?

Yes, a level range, why not.

>   While I'm not a fan of grinding, if players want to do it, I don't have
> issues with it.

Neither do I.
But historically Crossfire is mostly that, so there's an unbalanced biais :)
So trying now to fix it isn't too bad an idea, IMHO ;)

>   However, I think there is a somewhat fine line there - hopping around the
> world to do all the quests and get cool rewards is really just a different
> form of grinding - sure, the player is not hitting the same map over and
> over.

Yes, but it's not the same as doing the 5894th time Raffle - if there are enough
things to discover and such, that should be mostly ok.

>   I also note that grinding, going deep into random dungeons, or other non
> general quest stuff really needs to be part of crossfire, and there should
> be some rewards for it.  Simply put, I'm not sure if we could keep making
> enough quests with custom rewards to satisfy demand.  So I wouldn't want
> every good item to be a quest reward - some might just be things you find
> in random treasure - it might be incredibly rare, and it should be core to
> the game, but if a player really wants it, he doesn't have a lot of choice
> but to basically grind.

Sure, no issue with that for me.

>   Yep - there are lots of different possibilities here - if we go this
> method, it will be an exercise to come up with all these different
> abilities

But a fun challenge to imagine weird things :)

>   Yes - I suppose effect of trying to use an item with lack of ability
> could depend on the item itself (maybe for weapons, it is reduced damage,
> etc)

Will need to get defined.

Nicolas
--