[crossfire] Stats and level advancement proposal

Kevin Bulgrien kbulgrien at att.net
Mon May 24 04:43:24 CDT 2010

> Hello.
>
> I made a small idea dump for level progression, at
> http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/dev:levels
>
> Comments welcome :)

It is not at all clear whether the XP tables are still controlling level
advancement or if they are replaced.  Such should be stated.

I don't know.  I'm not much of a stats guy to figure how such things play,
but to be honest, I am skeptical about narrowing the range where you can
harvest xp (that hard).  I think this has a lot of potential to kill the
game for the not-that-great player.  As I am one of those, it is hard not
to view this as a potential game-burner.  The XP tables already pretty
much mean low level monsters are almost useless.  Is this is going to
make it even more extreme?  Why?  What fun does that add?

I don't see a problem with advancement requirements per se.  I do have a
a bit of a problem with some rule somewhere that says if you don't play
a certain way, this game is not for you.  I play crossfire because even
though I am not a hardcore gamer, it has things for me to do.  Onemay not
even know what its like to have not broken 30-40 something in over 10
years of play, or how such rules would feel if one weren't in that
category.  Sometimes I can be away for the game from a (long) while, and
might come back kind of wanting to play the old familiar maps instead of
the ones that "suit my level".  This is fun for me.  I'm not sure I'm a
fan of taking the measly reward out of that kind of fun.

I think there is a feeling that CF should be more of a quest game than
a hack-n-slash, and ironically, I think that killing off XP for mobs on
a schedule like this means making it more of a hack-n-slash from some
perspective, and think it needs a lot more thought before putting in such
a narrow band.  If I am doing quests in a quest-rich game, or fill in
some holes of quests I have not done, what satisfaction is there from
going through the quest for some dinky reward at the end only, just
because someone thinks I am too high level for these mobs?  It seems
like basically this doesn't remove abuse, it just changes the maps it
occurs on as you play, so again, I'm not sure I get the point.

On the other hand, like I said.  I'm not much of a stats guy...  and I
don't want to be too hard on new ideas either, but this XP slimming
aspect feels a bit off kilter.