[crossfire] Stats and level advancement proposal

Kevin Bulgrien kbulgrien at att.net
Mon May 24 05:07:36 CDT 2010

On Mon, 24 May 2010 04:43:24 -0500
Kevin Bulgrien <kbulgrien at att.net> wrote:

> > Hello.
> >
> > I made a small idea dump for level progression, at
> > http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/dev:levels
> >
> > Comments welcome :)
>

> It is not at all clear whether the XP tables are still controlling level
> advancement or if they are replaced.  Such should be stated.
>
> I don't know.  I'm not much of a stats guy to figure how such things play,
> but to be honest, I am skeptical about narrowing the range where you can
> harvest xp (that hard).  I think this has a lot of potential to kill the
> game for the not-that-great player.  As I am one of those, it is hard not
> to view this as a potential game-burner.  The XP tables already pretty
> much mean low level monsters are almost useless.  Is this is going to
> make it even more extreme?  Why?  What fun does that add?
>
> I don't see a problem with advancement requirements per se.  I do have a
> a bit of a problem with some rule somewhere that says if you don't play
> a certain way, this game is not for you.  I play crossfire because even
> though I am not a hardcore gamer, it has things for me to do.  Onemay not
> even know what its like to have not broken 30-40 something in over 10
> years of play, or how such rules would feel if one weren't in that
> category.  Sometimes I can be away for the game from a (long) while, and
> might come back kind of wanting to play the old familiar maps instead of
> the ones that "suit my level".  This is fun for me.  I'm not sure I'm a
> fan of taking the measly reward out of that kind of fun.

Level 	 HP 	 SP 	 GR 	 Main skill level
40	 350 	 150 	 90 	 35

Spells 	 Armor 	 Attack 	 Resistances
20	 200 	 200 	         almost immune to 1 type

So, case in point, _if_ I make it to level forty I am maxed out for the
rest of my game life at 20 spells?  I might be able to get immunity for
one thing up to the point where I can survive a hard monster battle, and
poor me if I choose the wrong one (because somewhere along the line I am
being forced to fight different creatures).  More realistically, I spend
months from 20 to thirty and even more months from 30 to 40 (even if I
grind).

I don't know.  I guess there is a move afoot to help people have fun at
high levels, but basically CF is already stacked against lowbies in many
many ways.  This looks like it has potential to make several more reasons
not to play if you can't play "well" by someone else's judgement.

So now to learn the game, I must make more characters and take years to
get all of them to a slightly useful state?

/me votes for adding content with a little lower priority on limiting
access to content.

Help me here.  Am I missing something.

BTW, I think value to fun ratio would be a lot better for slowing skills
acquisition, which would have an impact a little along the lines of
concern.  Skill scrolls are way too cheap.  It is crazy that you can
get a skill scroll for less than a weak rod or other useful item.