[crossfire] Stats and level advancement proposal

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Mon May 24 06:03:40 CDT 2010

> It is not at all clear whether the XP tables are still controlling level
> advancement or if they are replaced.  Such should be stated.

Sorry, the aim of the page wasn't clearly stated :)

The aim of the page is to estimate, based on the player's level, what
abilities, hp, sp, gr, and such the player approximately has or knows at this
level.

It does NOT replace experience-based leveling up.

This is more a guideline to help design maps and balance monsters, make items
adapted to the level, enforce restrictions.

So for instance (using my arbitrarily decided values), a player reaching level
30 is expected to have around 150 armor (armor + bracers + shield + whatever).

Therefore, if I want to have monsters suitable for such level in a map, I will
try to have around 150 attack - not 10, not 500, but 100 or 200 can of course
be ok.
And not do 1000 damage per attack, more around 40 or 50, so the player can get
hit a few times before needing to heal.

Or an armor giving 200 defense means it probably isn't suitable before level
around 30.

This kind of things.

This isn't supposed to be a mathematical formulae, just an arbitrarily decided
scale, helping to make monsters and items for various levels. And helping
balance hp progression by level.

The ultimate goal is to try to balance monsters, to avoid weird things like a
monster level 90 being easier to kill than a level 40 and giving less exp.
Note that by principle this could happen, but right now it looks more like 'I
have no idea what statistics to give to a level 90 monster, let's just say
this and this will be ok'.

This should also help figure what level is suitable for items and quest
rewards.
If I have a sword doing 500 damage per hit, from what level are monsters able
to sustain that kind of damage, so what kind of level will I require the
player to have to use it?
And what kind of monsters can I have to guard the reward?

I hope this answers your questions :)

Don't mistake my goal, I WANT to have quests, content, and such. But if there
is no notion of level, no balance, what's the point?
What is the point of inventing a level 30 monsters if I have no idea what kind
of equipment the player will have?
What is the point of making an armor, if I have no idea what level to ask the
player to have to wear it?

It is my opinion that we need a kind of scale of the player's progression in
game, to balance accordingly monsters, items.

Of course, if you have other suggestions to reach that goal, I'd be glad to
hear those :)

Nicolas
--
Mon p'tit coin du web - http://nicolas.weeger.org