[crossfire] Stats and level advancement proposal

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed May 26 23:35:38 CDT 2010

On 05/25/10 11:38 PM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>>    It would be useful to add to the page what the different columns mean.
>>
>>    For example, you have armor going from 30 ->  1500.  However, under the
>> current gaming system, max value for armor is 100, so that computing
>> method is something completely new (I'm guessing that it may be cavehippos
>> page, but there is no link there, and since that is still a concept, it is
>> perhaps hard to judge/understand how that really affects thing.  Does the
>> fact that a level 50 person does 300 damage, and a level 40 person has 200
>> armor (delta 100) and the level 40 person has 350 hp means that 3.5 hits
>> will kill a level 40 person?
>>
>>    I'd also note that the values for hp/sp/grace are likely to vary a lot
>> based on class and profession.  Are those values targets for the character
>> where that state is key to their profession (hp for fighters, sp for
>> wizards, grace for priests) or something different?  I would imagine if
>> someone is playing a priest, they may not care much about sp, but a lot
>> about grace and would focus on increasing stats which increase their
>> grace, and may not care much about HP.
>>
>>    It is probably also worth documenting what starting values (level 1) are
>> as a basis point.
>>
>>    At a quick glance, the hp increases in a fairly bumpy fashion - from
>> level 40 to 50, you get 50 hp.  From 50 to 600, 200 hp.  From 60 to 70,
>> 100 hp.
>>
>>    I'm guessing that some of those values are based on expected stat
>> increases in that level range - but if so, worth documenting that is the
>> basis, and that is the expected progressing in stat increases (1 every 10
>> levels?)
>

> The page was created because right now there is absolutely no way (apart
> playing all levels) of knowing such information, at least none I know :)
> Seriously, do you know what AC or WC a level 15 character usually has? Or how
> much eg fire resist at level 20?

  Sorry, perhaps a misunderstanding.  I took that page to be a proposal of what
the different values at different levels should be.  Perhaps the fact that the
subject states it is a stats and level advancement proposal gave me that idea :)

  But from what you say above, it sounds like you are looking more for recorded
(eg, real) values.

  So as of now, I'm a little confused on what it is a page of.  If it is of
recorded values (so as you state, you know what the
wc/ac/hp/sp/grace/resistances of a level 40 character is), then explanations of
the different fields are not really needed, since they are just recorded from
what you see as a player.

  But if you are making a proposal, then I think some of those fields need more
explanation, as they don't match what is in the game right now (as noted, armor
currently maxes at 100, and damage values are also lower)

> This page is a first draft for a middle player, whether fighter or mage or
> whatever, page that should be completed for the various classes and races :)
> So it is expected to be modified by people who have ideas, to improve it ^_-

  Right now, it seems a little hard to me because there are so many variables
floating out there, and all play a part.

  While several ideas have been put out there (I've put some out for stats,
others for different parts), I find it hard to really fill in many values there.
  If stat increases are 'easy', those values are likely to be different than if
stat increases are very hard as an example.  Since those discussions were very
recent (and some perhaps still ongoing), hard to know what will be realistic values.

  I certainly think such a page is a good idea (so just from designing
dungeons/maps, one can know what target level is), but I'm not sure if it may be
a little premature until other aspects are nailed down.