[crossfire] Attacktypes

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed May 26 23:58:23 CDT 2010

On 05/26/10 03:28 AM, igniz revolver wrote:
> As a victim of many of these attacks, i'd agree with some of these
> changes but not others.
>
> Confusion and Paralyse are nice CC's for a creature or player to use,
> but their duration is so long and the effects so potent that it's
> something a player should endeavor to become immune to. If the duration
> could be reduced, that would be better.

  this may change with other changes, but one issue for most spells is expected
lifetime of the creatures.

  So the problem here is that if duration is too short, the player using it
against monster doesn't happen much, since the monster is not expected to last
very long anyways.

  Confusion is at least survivable - its annoying, but if you have potions of
healing, word of recall, or other items, one can get out of it.

  But to me, the problem for a player is having monsters wonder around aimlessly
tends not to make them much easier to kill - it typically makes them harder.  So
it almost becomes a purely used monster attribute - maybe not a bad thing.

  paralyze can be effective on monsters, but problem is generally that if you
can paralyze them, you can hit them with something else instead that will do
damage and kill them.  And if duration is too short, that is even a bigger issue.

> Poison changing to stat damage would be horrific to deal with. The only
> thing I'd like to see changed about it is the duration of poison and
> also disease. It seems impossible to overcome disease and poison can
> last so long. From a player perspective, poison does too little damage
> over too long a time to be effective against monsters, but for a player
> - poison can stack up to horrendous levels.

  disease is more an effect, so I didn't include it here.  It also is something
that is much more effective for players to use against monsters than vice versa,
simply because it spreads to other monsters, and in most maps, you have mobs of
monsters.  It perhaps shoul

  Poison is nastier now, but if one is paying attention, usually not deadly - if
one can heal any amount of damage, one can typically survive it.

  A general change I would like to see is just a bit slower combat in general.
So in the case of poison, it may be it drops your stat for 5 points for 20
seconds, but spreads it out over that time, so initially you are at -1, two
seconds later, -2, -3, etc.  If a message/indicator shows up, this gives the
player time to do something - drink potion of cure poison, run away, whatever.

> Blind is okay, imo, but fog doesn't seem to work for a lot of things. So
> spells like Steamball are less useful than they should be.

  I stated the issue was with fog of war, blind isn't that nasty.  If I know
where the walls are and where the exit is, even when blinded, I can probably get
to safety.