[crossfire] Gameplay notes

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Sep 4 03:02:08 CDT 2010

>   Agree on both of those - I think paralyze would be acceptable if the
> duration was much shorter (say for 1-5 ticks) - confusion could perhaps
> last a little longer, but same thing, if it was a short duration, that
> might be OK.

Paralysis can be as long as is it now, provided it isn't used by low level
monsters.
I mean, a gnome level 6 paralysing (that's now removed) is bad for low level
players :(
Another option could be to have "temporary immunity", like you get paralyzed
100% of the duration the first time, and if hit in the next 5s only 50%, then
only 25%.
This would avoid the "getting paralyzed when you're paralyzed" issue.

>   I suppose the fact you need scrolls adds some use for inscription :)

Yes, but that's actually weird - if I'm confused, what's ensuring I'm reading
the correct scroll? :D

>   I also think that there are 'issues' in the way spells also move - it
> isn't like your character has to make one saving through and is set -
> because the way cones move, you probably get hit by the spell many times,
> so are almost sure to be affected.

There could be a small immunity / resistance if you avoid the first time.

>   Yes - the amount of damage it does, and/or the fact that there is no way
> to repair them.
>
>   I think experienced players know the monsters to look out for and use
> other methods to kill them - but this is probably a real annoyance for new
> players.

Yes, especially for newbies.
Solutions could be to have reparation, but that would downgrade the acid's
value.
Another option is to use that only on high level maps, or after the player has
been warned ("you smell something acid").

>   I've found in many cases, if you have some amount of healing (or
> potentially enough food), you can outlast it that way also.  It really
> depends on how many hp you have when you get hit by it, and how quickly
> you can get to someplace where you want take any damage other than that of
> the poison.

I don't think that's an issue.
Though poison could be made more violent for higher level monsters - like lose
>100 maximum hp and 5 speed, things like that.

Nicolas
--
Mon p'tit coin du web - http://nicolas.weeger.org