[crossfire] sound2 protocol and issues: arbitrary volume

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Sep 27 00:26:15 CDT 2010

On 09/26/10 02:49 PM, Kevin Bulgrien wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>>> server/trunk/doc/Developers/sound describes the sound2 protocol and a
>>> volume component to the sound protocol.  It indicates that the server
>>> arbitrarily sets volume "for variability".
>>
>> Actually, the "abitrarily" was supposed to mean "0 is basically totally
>> attenued, 100 is the full sound's volume ; but the maximum sound volume is how
>> many decibels you want".
>>
>> As opposed to "100 means the sound plays at x decibels".
>>
>> But that's probably not really nicely written :)
>
> So there is no implication that the server randomly sets volume?  Ok.  Sorry,
> that's not how I read it.

  Looking at the server code, it appears that right now at least, the volume
will always be set to 50 (from play_sound_player_only()).  I think the protocol
doc should get updated to note that the volume is a percentage value, and that a
baseline of 50 is average value (so 100 is really loud).

  Presumably, this would have to be one of those features that would get used
if/when true sound support is added to the objects.