[crossfire] Make start maps unique

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Mar 16 23:32:39 CDT 2011

On 03/16/11 03:48 PM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>

> Unless someone gives a good counter-argument, I'll make the
> /start/newbieshouse a unique map (from the Nexus).
>
> The rationale is that there are things to do, books to read, monsters to kill,
> traps to find, so it's logical the map is always ready for new characters (and
> no, fast reset times don't count IMO).

  That seems completely reasonable.

> I'll also add it to the map choice in the character creation (this'll require
> changing the mechanism to handle unique maps), maybe replacing the "Nexus" map
> - since Scorn and Navar can be reached from the starting map choice.

  I wonder if some hook/plugin should be used to delete that unique map once the
players leave it.  The problem with the unique maps right now is they sit around
forever (unique & permanent) - but for something like the newbiehouse, probably
no reason for that to be true (I'm not even sure if one can get back to it after
really starting play)

  That said, for modern systems, the amount of space those unique maps would
take would be pretty trivial, so probably not that big an issue.