[crossfire] skill/class cost table

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Oct 15 00:57:05 CDT 2011

On 10/12/11 11:52 PM, Mark Wedel wrote:

> Following up on:
>
> http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/user:mwedel:skills
>
> I've made up:
>
> http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/user:mwedel:skill_classes

  Just a note - I've updated the above to include race/skill combos.

  In doing so, I've more less come to these conclusions:

1) Races modify skill costs instead of giving skills at fixed costs.  I think
this is more interesting - as noted on the page, fixed point skills didn't work
out - if the cost of the skill is greater than the class gets it, it does no
good, and if it is too low, it it just too powerful.  For example, if some race
got divine casting at 4, they could basically turn any of the other classes into
a priest/whatever hybrid.

2) Skill Scrolls get removed, and characters know all of those skills.  However,
skills start at level 0, and must be increased to level 1 before they are
usable.  For example, a knight character starts out at with fire magic at level
0.  He can use 8 AP to increase it to level 1, and now use it as a level 1
skill.  My basis for this change is several:  The vast majority of skills are
things a person would know to do (anyone can pick up an axe, or try to make a
sword - they might be very poor at it, but could do so).  Also, I see the
starting skills in the existing system as the way to create the classes -
fighters don't start with magic skills, not everyone starts with praying skill,
etc.  But with skills costing different costs, that is what really defines the
class in the new system - a fighter will be a better fighter because the
fighting skills are fewer points for them than the mage.

Also, skill scrolls really just created a short term limitation - once a
character got enough money, which typically wasn't too many levels, they could
go out and buy all the different skill scrolls.

3) Abilities may be things that need to be learned/bought.  Abilities are a lot
like spells but for other skills.  For example, the ability to do triple shot
would be an ability, and that might be something the character needs to go out
and learn (ideally by quest, but perhaps also by random scrolls).  I haven't
really thought much about all the possible abilities - ideally there would be
10-20 per skill (and evenly distributed out so a character gets one every 5
levels or soemthing).  For crafting feats, the recipes could like abilities in
some context - knowing how to make certain items.  For combat skills, special
attack moves.  Spellcasting already has spells.

4) As is now, this will certainly mix up the races and classes a bit.  A good
example is there is no class for the dragon player which is good with unarmed
combat (claws) and spellcasting - as it is, the dragon either has to choose to
be a melee dragon or a spellcasting dragon.  I am sure some things will need to
get adjusted.