[crossfire] skill/class cost table

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sun Oct 16 04:06:45 CDT 2011

Hello.

Thanks for the updates on the new skill system, sounds really nice :)

> 1) Races modify skill costs instead of giving skills at fixed costs.  I
> think this is more interesting - as noted on the page, fixed point skills
> didn't work out - if the cost of the skill is greater than the class gets
> it, it does no good, and if it is too low, it it just too powerful.  For
> example, if some race got divine casting at 4, they could basically turn
> any of the other classes into a priest/whatever hybrid.

Makes sense.

> 2) Skill Scrolls get removed, and characters know all of those skills.
> However, skills start at level 0, and must be increased to level 1 before
> they are usable.  For example, a knight character starts out at with fire
> magic at level 0.  He can use 8 AP to increase it to level 1, and now use
> it as a level 1 skill.  My basis for this change is several:  The vast
> majority of skills are things a person would know to do (anyone can pick
> up an axe, or try to make a sword - they might be very poor at it, but
> could do so).  Also, I see the starting skills in the existing system as
> the way to create the classes - fighters don't start with magic skills,
> not everyone starts with praying skill, etc.  But with skills costing
> different costs, that is what really defines the class in the new system -
> a fighter will be a better fighter because the fighting skills are fewer
> points for them than the mage.
>
> Also, skill scrolls really just created a short term limitation - once a
> character got enough money, which typically wasn't too many levels, they
> could go out and buy all the different skill scrolls.

Only thing I see is meditation, which is (in the current system) restricted to
the monk.

If you give that skill to everyone, even at a 100 AP per level cost, I'm sure
people will use it for the regen benefit.

> 3) Abilities may be things that need to be learned/bought.  Abilities are a
> lot like spells but for other skills.  For example, the ability to do
> triple shot would be an ability, and that might be something the character
> needs to go out and learn (ideally by quest, but perhaps also by random
> scrolls).  I haven't really thought much about all the possible abilities
> - ideally there would be 10-20 per skill (and evenly distributed out so a
> character gets one every 5 levels or soemthing).  For crafting feats, the
> recipes could like abilities in some context - knowing how to make certain
> items.  For combat skills, special attack moves.  Spellcasting already has
> spells.

Seems interesting, yes. For spells, something like increased range, or why not
having the "fire all around you instead of a cone" be an ability too?

> 4) As is now, this will certainly mix up the races and classes a bit.  A
> good example is there is no class for the dragon player which is good with
> unarmed combat (claws) and spellcasting - as it is, the dragon either has
> to choose to be a melee dragon or a spellcasting dragon.  I am sure some
> things will need to get adjusted.

Well, sure, but adjustments are to be expected when there are many changes :)

Regards

Nicolas
--
Mon p'tit coin du web - http://nicolas.weeger.org