[crossfire] Client GTK2 - Buffer overflow

Otto J. Makela om at iki.fi
Tue Sep 4 08:55:31 CDT 2012

On 2012-09-04 03:27, Karla Stenger wrote:

> I'm playing at crossfire.metalforge.net and the huge pile of rings I
> was refering to before is located at the Scorn Sale Shop, upstairs.
> If you look at the southern wall from left to right it is at the 4rth
> tile where you can stand.

Exactly the same reason (huge pile of objects in Scorn Sale Shop) why I
switched over to the GTK client V2, as the older X client crashed hard.

However, I haven't experienced crashes with what I am currently using
with RHEL6 and Fedora 15: crossfire-client-gtk2-1.60.0-1.x86_64

I just tried messing around with the large ring pile in the Scorn Sale
Shop on Metalforge, no problem with crashes. However, the client window
scroll function does get wonky when you have too many objects in carry:
when you drop one of them, the scroll bar jumps to a random position.
Makes ordered dropping very difficult.

Also, dropping objects into containers on the ground works funny: when
you move away from the container, it occasionally gets automatically
closed and occasionally not. If not, spooky action at a distance can
happen, objects you drop end up inside the container though you are not
standing on it. Or you get a warning about the container not being able
to contain that type of objects.

Also also, the distance metric works somehow strangely with this client,
as occasionally when you use identify type skills you will end up
identifying objects which are farther than the 1+8 nearest squares.
Eg. this seems to happen pretty often in Raffle, where there is a fence
between you and the objects, but you still are able to identify items.

Would someone who knows the code want to take a look at this weirdness?

--
    /* * * Otto J. Makela <om at iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * */
   /* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, ICBM: N 60 10' E 24 55' */