[crossfire] Client GTK2 - Buffer overflow

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Sep 4 22:59:20 CDT 2012

On 09/ 4/12 06:55 AM, Otto J. Makela wrote:
> On 2012-09-04 03:27, Karla Stenger wrote:

<snip>
> Also also, the distance metric works somehow strangely with this client,
> as occasionally when you use identify type skills you will end up
> identifying objects which are farther than the 1+8 nearest squares.
> Eg. this seems to happen pretty often in Raffle, where there is a fence
> between you and the objects, but you still are able to identify items.

  I can't comment on the other issues right now, but the above one is not/can
not be a client issue.  All identification is done on the server (only part the
client plays is to send the command to the server).

  However, latest SVN has increasing area based on skill level - if level <=4,
only the space you are standing on is identified, up to level 16, you get the 9
spaces, up to level 64, you get 25 spaces (effectively radius 2), and above
that, you get 49 spaces (radius 3)

  So what you are seeing is expected - you should see the same thing with the
java client, or any other client.

  Note that it is possible (I haven't looked at the other clients) that other
clients are intentionally limiting the range - eg, only identify the 9 spaces.

  Note also that the ranges are based on skill level, so if you are high level
in one skill, but low level in another, that high level skill will identify a
larger area.