[crossfire] [RFC 2/3] Misc keybinding fixes and changes

Arvid Brodin arvidb at kth.se
Sat Nov 2 11:04:11 CDT 2013

On 2013-11-01 04:54, David Hurst wrote:
> I'd be of the view, if it isn't reducing a functionality but
> re-implementing it in a more useful way (be it more flexible, faster,
> or any other good reason) then it has my support.

This could better be described as removing an arcane feature to simplify
the code and to make room for other improvements in the future. (Do you
use the feature of rebinding the Run, Shift, Alt or Meta keys?)

> Perhaps another perspective is that if you change it, and things
> don't work out, it is a lot easier to backtrack and try and different
> approach, than it is to have abandoned the idea before anyone got to
> play with it and never know what we were missing in the first place
> :).
>
> I would mention that at the moment windows users are really limited
> to the jxclient, so do try and make a change that can be implemented
> on both the gtk and jxclient.

That's something of a tall order. :) It's a lot of work learning how
_one_ client works; learning two clients and then trying do do only
changes that benefit both (and doesn't break any) of them could be
very limiting. (Is the Windows compatibility broken on the gtk client?)

Are there any code dependencies between jxclient and the gtk client?

I noticed the gtk client code is split between the folders common/
and gtk-v2/. I found references to something called the x11 client
in the code, and I assumed that that was an old client that had since
been removed. It was apparently called cfclient, later renamed
crossfire-client-x11. If this has been removed, perhaps it would be a
good idea to merge the common/ folder into the gtk-v2/ folder?

(BTW, I've been working exclusively on the code in
https://svn.code.sf.net/p/crossfire/code/client/trunk)

--
Arvid