[crossfire] [RFC 2/3] Misc keybinding fixes and changes

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Nov 3 13:29:30 CST 2013

On 11/ 2/13 08:14 PM, Kevin Zheng wrote:
> On 11/02/2013 11:04, Arvid Brodin wrote:

>> I noticed the gtk client code is split between the folders common/
>> and gtk-v2/. I found references to something called the x11 client
>> in the code, and I assumed that that was an old client that had since
>> been removed. It was apparently called cfclient, later renamed
>> crossfire-client-x11. If this has been removed, perhaps it would be a
>> good idea to merge the common/ folder into the gtk-v2/ folder?
>
> You've probably noticed that the sources in common/ are built into a
> shared library. The intention was to share some code between the several
> different versions of the client (X11, SDL, OpenGL, GTKv1, GTKv2). Now,
> it seems a little unnecessary (unless someone decides to bring back
> another client).

  But to me, there is very little reason to merge them - the common area vs the
specific graphic area are pretty well abstracted apart.

  And while right now there might only be one graphics client that uses it, if
they get merged, that pretty much would mean that would always be the case.

  In terms of history, early version of the client only had X11 client support -
the fact it was separated made it possible to have different GUI clients at
different times (gtkv1 vs gtkv2, and I think there was a gnome client at some
point).

  Now whether there will ever be new graphics system ever added the the C client
(vs java), who knows, but off the top of my head, I could think of several
platforms where a native GUI client could be written, and who knows what changes
may show up even on the unix desktops which might bring forth a new client with
new toolkit.

  If there are specific issues or problems trying to be addressed by merging
them together, that would be good to hear (and perhaps could be fixed without a
merge).  But just merging them for the sake of merging may not be good long term.