[crossfire] Wiki Changes

David Hurst davidnicholashurst at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 07:54:17 CDT 2014

Hi Crossfire,

I have had an itch to tidy up the Wiki pages and today put my ideas into
effect. I wanted to make the pages more clearly separated to (I hope) make
it easier to find information. A lot of pages were dated around 2008 and
appear to have drifted out of date or out of position. The changes I made
weren't focused on removing any content but rather moving it, splitting it,
or merging it to fit the new structure.

The new structure as explained on the Crossfire Wiki start page
<http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/start> is:

<http://wiki.metalforge.net/lib/exe/detail.php/items:eyeglasses.base.111.png?id=start&cache=cache>*The
Sworn book of Scorn <http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/mechanics>*This
section is dedicated to the mechanics and implementation of crossfire as a
game.
<http://wiki.metalforge.net/lib/exe/detail.php/classes:priest.base.151.png?id=start&cache=cache>
Help/Support <http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/start#help_support>This
section focuses on guides and information that will assist in installing
and running Crossfire servers <http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/server>
 and clients <http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/client>.
<http://wiki.metalforge.net/lib/exe/detail.php/world:sign.base.111.png?id=start&cache=cache>
Community <http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/start#community>This section
provides useful links for connecting with other crossfire fans.
<http://wiki.metalforge.net/lib/exe/detail.php/world:thaumaturg_desk.base.111.png?id=start&cache=cache>
Development <http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/start#development>This
section is the communal edit/scratchpad to document and kick off new ideas,
and in-game content. Everyone is welcome to contribute. Please remember
that while the wiki is useful for brainstorming, archiving, and listing new
ideas, always consult the mailing list
<http://mailman.metalforge.org/mailman/listinfo/crossfire> before
implementing any significant changes to the game.

For more detailed information on this structure you can visit the Crossfire
Wiki:style guide <http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/wiki:style_guide>

I also drew on the Google analytic report to try and identify which areas
of the wiki were most heavily getting viewed. At present most visitors were
apparently seeking assistance in installing crossfire, particularly the
server, or were leaving after reading the FAQ. I suspect the FAQ is a
little over due for review but didn't spend much time on it. It is
currently very long and overlaps with a lot of content elsewhere on both
the crossfire website and the wiki.

I welcome feedback on whether you like this new structure and any further
changes that you think would be valuable. In particular I would love some
help in adding various game mechanics to the Sworn book of Scorn. Please
feel free to come talk Wiki with me in the IRC channel.

Regards,

Saru