[crossfire] building very old versions

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue Jun 28 02:36:36 CDT 2016

On Mon, 16 May 2016, Mark Wedel wrote:

> It also looks (via a quick grep of 'skill *.README') that the skill code
> first appeared in 0.92.1.  Before that time, each character just had a single
> experience total and level, and that overall level determined things like
> ability to cast spells, ability to hit things, hp, sp, etc.

I still have my original Crossfire character (Lars the Northman) who would
date from around '95.  Lars passed beyond the world of mortals long ago.
Today he lives on as a pure DM character who only appears when the DM is
needed.

When I brought Lars back after years archived I think the game gave him a
few base skills automatically.

Lars was probably archived for 10 years.  I'm impressed that I was able to
load such an old character and have the game cope.

> I can certainly make any of the versions available if desired.

Yes please.  Like others I'd like to keep ancient versions archived and
for review.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert at timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440
IRC: Solver (OFTC, Freenode and Snoonet)