[crossfire] building very old versions

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue May 17 01:07:54 CDT 2016

  Finally back from vacation, so can look at what I have stored away.

  It isn't clear what version you ended up compiling.  Looks like I have
everything back to 0.91.7 (1995)

  It looks like the bigworld maps were first added in 1.5.0 as an option, with
them becoming the default version in 1.8.0 (though I'm not sure at which point
they would stop working with later versions, if ever)

  It also looks (via a quick grep of 'skill *.README') that the skill code first
appeared in 0.92.1.  Before that time, each character just had a single
experience total and level, and that overall level determined things like
ability to cast spells, ability to hit things, hp, sp, etc.

  So depending on exactly what you are looking for, that might help determine
ideal version to use.  The old style X11 client (pulled into the client area,
but looking the same) existed in the client code until 2010.

  I can certainly make any of the versions available if desired.