[crossfire] Ideas for balancing tweaks for next release

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Jul 31 23:59:58 CDT 2017

On 07/30/2017 10:22 PM, Kevin Zheng wrote:
> On 07/30/2017 14:08, Preston Crow wrote:
>> I like your thinking on this.  You have a place for monsters, but didn't
>> put any on the list.  I've been playing on Metalforge recently, and I've
>> found pixies to be worthless monsters.  They seem to usually have wands
>> but never use them.  I seem to recall they used their wands at one point
>> in the past, making them randomly dangerous.
>
> Glad these ideas are being discussed.
>
> I do want to point out that I'd like to hold off major changes until
> this release gets out the door. We're still shaking out some last issues
> and I really don't want to delay this any more than it already is.
>
> I'm shooting for getting this out the door on or before the weekend of
> August 12th. Releasing isn't that hard but it takes a couple of hours to
> sit down and get everything done. We should really work on automating
> this going forward.

  My experience in the past is most of the time is finding out something was
done but some part missing with respect to the release (eg, a file not added to
the makefile so it ends being in the source repo but not the tar files built)

  It used to be that 'make archive' was all that was really needed - it would
make the tar file, then uncompress it, run configure in that new directory, run
the make, make install, and verify none of that got an error.  That's about as
automated as something can get.

  The one thing that could be improved (though I don't thing SF supports this)
would be doing that after every commit (or once a day or something), so if a
file is added but missing from a makefile or whatever, it is found at that time,
and not when you go off to make the release.