[crossfire] Permanent Experience

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue Aug 18 02:18:03 CDT 2020

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020, Preston Crow wrote:

> When you earn experience, it gets added to your regular experience (up
> to the maximum), and some percentage (default 50%) added to your
> permanent experience.  When you die or are drained, your current
> experience never drops below the permanent experience.
>
> My proposal is to instead of tracking permanent experience, track total
> experience.  This means applying the permanent ratio (50%) to the total
> when using it instead of when adding to it.
>
> Mathematically it's all the same, but the change eliminates rounding
> errors.  It also would in theory let you change the permanent experience
> ratio on a server, though I see no value in that.
>
> My biggest concern is that there are ongoing changes for a Soul Blade
> artifact where the object gains experience, and I wouldn't want to mess
> that up without some degree of coordination.

Thanks for explaining that Preston.  My only suggestion would be to be
mindful that some people (like me!) modify the default settings.  I can't
see how this would be an issue but I'll paste the relevant settings I use:

stat_loss_on_death false
balanced_stat_loss false
permanent_experience_percentage 100
death_penalty_percentage 0
death_penalty_levels 0

As you can see I've eliminated most of the penalties for death.  I run a
child friendly server which is very forgiving of mistakes.  I've turned
down 'death penalties' for both Crossfire and Minecraft and we've found
that players (adults and children alike) still take character death
seriously and try to avoid it.  IE removing the penalties did not
appreciably modify player behaviour.  I suspect most people seem to view
character death as a personal failure regardless of whether the game
imposes a penalty or not.

Thus character death on my server involves depleted stats only.  For most
cults some in the temple will sort that out.

Rob