[crossfire] Various adjustments

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri May 1 23:29:04 CDT 2020

On 5/1/20 1:54 AM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Been playing some lately, and I noticed a few things I'd like to change.
>

> I think the following commands should be made DM-only, if needed adding the
> player to affect:
> - fix_me
> - forget_spell
> - printlos

  I think the rationale for forget_spell is that if players learned a spell they don't want to know for some reason, they should be able to forget it.  But I'm not quite sure why they would want to (try to keep the spell list shorter).  But I imagine it could be used for abuse - forget spells that you fine spellbooks for, so that you can re-learn the spell and get exp?

  Other ones seem reasonable.

> Moving in diagonals should cost more than moving horizontally or vertically ;
> ok, that one is potentially a major change, but it makes it faster to move in
> zigzags than plainly straight...

  It shouldn't be faster to move in zigzags than straight - you are covering more distance, but going NE, NW, NE, NW, NE, NW should not get you due north any faster than if you just did N, N, N, N, ...

  The one danger I can think about changing this is if it affects other things, like spells.  This could first of all perhaps result in odd spell propogation (may depend on the spells, though I think in most cases the spell just moves to next space and ignores any cost to do so).  But this could cause odd effects to the players trying to move out.  For example, a character may be able to outrun a spell effect if they are heading due north and the spell is also heading due north, but may not be able to outrun it if they head NE (since each space is costing more movement) if the spell can also move NE without that extra cost.

  I'm not really sure, but something to think about/investigate.