[crossfire] Archetypes collection changes proposal

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Mon Nov 16 10:55:20 CST 2020

Hello.

I've made enough progress to consider that things work as expected :)

My tests are basically to connect as a player, move some around, cast spells,
create artifacts, things like that. As well as check things through CRE, and
the unit tests.

Attached are patches to the server & CRE.

The server will now load everything directly from the arch directory, without
any collect mechanism at all (you can probably leave your collected files, it
should be all right, else I have a bug :)).

After some runs, the launch of "crossfire-server -m3" (which does load
everything) takes <6s, which I consider quite adequate. From a "cold" start,
it may be more of course...

I'd like opinions (please read the caveats too before replying :)) on the next
step:
- should I commit to a branch, and let people running a server test that
branch?
- should I commit to trunk directly and hope for the best?

I should point out I don't plan running a server myself - not enough players
around to attract some testers :)

Caveats of the current code:
- unit tests (some were modified) and CRE now work correctly
- you'll probably have memory leaks when redefining things like actual PNG,
messages, and such - it's a "static" leak, so won't grow over time, but still,
it'll be fixed
- code is still quite messy, planning a big cleaning up soon
- files "materials" and "races" are still copied from arch, on my to-fix list :)
- I only compiled using g++ (version 6.3.0), but Partmedia compiled the
previous patch with clang and pointed some stuff I fixed - no idea on
portability

And someday I'll move the "smoothface" out of the .arc files to put'em in the
.face where they definitely belong... This will require changes to Gridarta
though ;)

Best regards

Nicolas