[crossfire] Playing Valkyrie fun :)

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Mon Jan 11 11:14:22 CST 2021

Hello.

I've been playing a Valkyrie follower, so I wanted to share some points & fun
things - everything is my personal opinion of course :p

For reminder, Valkyrie forbids all magic spells.

I choose to not use items or help from my other players, else it would have
been too easy :)

Fun fact: even if all magic is forbidden, potions, wands/rods/scrolls are
allowed. Of course it's critical for the game, but maybe the Valkyrie lore
(which states that magic is filthy) should be slightly adjusted to reflect that.
Maybe Valkyrie hates the follower channeling magic herself, but not magic
which was "tamed"?

Since I can't cast spells, I can't use consecrate on an altar, so can't have
one in my private apartments, and thus can't worship my god privately :)

Of course, no town portal either, which makes it hard to gather loot :s I
don't think town portal appears in scrolls/rods/wands in shops. There are
scrolls as a reward in a single map (unless I'm mistaking), but to get it, you
have to fight some monsters that my level 94 dragon couldn't really hit... So I
guess for a level 35 user it's impossible :D

I obviously have to rely on what I find in maps or in shops for balms
(especially return home) and potions of protection (no praying spell), until
I'm high level enough to create those items through alchemy.

Since I can't use marking runes, I can't build (through building materials)
"connected" items, I think - you need to put a marking rune on the spot, and
even if the spell appeared in scrolls, I'm not sure I could specify the actual
text to mark down.

The only god-given item I can get, after leveling a lot, is a live-saving
amulet, which doesn't have much in term of properties. I would say it could
have some nice stats to compensate (life-saving isn't too rare I think).

Not being able to use magic, I can't cast "create food" to make waters for
alchemy (same issue as marking rune, can't specify the precise food even if I
found a scroll). So I'll have to gather a lot to make all those required
waters for various formula...

Best regards

Nicolas