[crossfire] Handling massive loot

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue Mar 23 23:01:34 CDT 2021

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021, Mark Wedel wrote:

> There are a couple ways to deal with this:
> - A thought I had a while back is once a space gets too many items on it,
> items fall over to neighboring spaces - this would reduce the upper
> threshhold over that operation (never too many items to examine on a space),
> but this could basically result in an entire shop being filled to a level of
> 25 items deep.

I love this idea.  If someone tries to stick items too high they simply
fall over and spill on the floor.  I'd say that would be a nice addition
to the game.

> - For items going to the floor, marking the space as needing 'merging' later
> on could be done (one could even imagine something like a shop keeper
> standing on the space as this merging is done, preventing players from
> interacting with it)

I was thinking the first part too.  A kind of 'eventual consistency'.  The
shop keeper would be a nice touch.

> - Maybe limit the number of items picked up at once, even with pickup all, to
> something like 25 or other number where performance is still reasonable.
> This makes it harder to clean up everything in the dungeon, but is somewhat
> more realistic (you can only pick up stuff so quickly).

I love this.  Maximum pickup could be based on the character's speed.

Sometimes if I don't feel too threatened I'll have 'pickup all' on in a
dungeon while still fighting.  This way I hoover up stuff as I go.  But I
do have to be careful not to pass over a very large pile or I'll get stuck
for a bit.  Limiting pickup all would be a feature and would help
performance.  Pickup all then becomes "pickup as many as you can" although
I don't expect a name change.  Perhaps a config option could be put in
place to allow the server admin to decide on the behaviour.

Cheers,

Rob