[crossfire] Remove or keep contact email addresses from map headers?

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Jun 16 19:36:59 CDT 2023

On 6/16/23 10:37, Rick Tanner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> While working on numerous maps, I have noticed that some map authors (and/or map editors) included a contact email address in the map header.
>
> Nearly all of these addresses are no longer valid. For instance, some are University (College) addresses. And, many are from people I have not "seen" online in many years.
>
> Given the different methods of communication we now have available - IRC, Discord, and the mailing list -- those are the preferred ways to reach out to a map author for questions, comments, discussion, etc. instead of direct emails to the author.
>
> Does anyone have any concerns in regards to removing the email addresses from the map headers?
>
> If there are no issues or concerns, I will take care of updating all the maps to remove this content. To give this discussion some time, I would look at starting to make this change in 2023-July.

  I was thinking when I just saw the subject 'how many of those e-mail addresses still work, and even if they do, is anyone looking at them'.

  I think that with the fact everything is in publicly accessible source control, people can always use that to see the original creator (or at least importer) of a given map, as well as who has modified it recently.  That is probably just as useful, if not more useful, than the info in the map header.

  Even if someone does want the old information, they can always look for it in the source history (look at the old version when it still exists).