Brendan Lally wrote:

      On Wednesday 02 November 2005 20:02, Rick Tanner wrote:

     What are people thoughts of having the wiki automatically email/post

     updates and changes to the mailing list in a context diff format?

      Could be useful, I (at least) would like that.

Anyone else who does /not/ want the diffs sent to the mailing list?

Remember - silence is acceptance. ;-)

      I would say that wikipedia have the right approach, username if there is one,

      and only if there isn't, then print the ip address.

I'm not seeing any way to do that, other then some serious php hacking
(which I'm not able to do..)  It's either all or nothing (see below)

      Two points I would make. the first is that it would probably be better to

      group the messages, so that they are sent only once a day (or once a day per

      user?)

I'm not seeing any way to do that, other then some serious php hacking
(which I'm not able to do..)

I've received all the diffs so far via email, and they seem to show up
in bunches, maybe once or twice a day.  Someone imports or adds a some
new content - makes format changes.  Then the email flow stops for ~8-10
hours.

      the second would be that the page name, and the edit summery should form the

      top line, followed by the username/ip adress. This would make it easier to

      skip over changes by trusted users, and catch any spammers (should they

      appear).

Here's the current/new format for the email messages:

A page in your DokuWiki was added or changed. Here are the details:

Date        : @DATE@
User        : @USER@
Edit Summary: @SUMMARY@

@DIFF@

IP-Address  : @IPADDRESS@
Old Revision: @OLDPAGE@
New Revision: @NEWPAGE@

- --
This mail was generated by DokuWiki at
@DOKUWIKIURL@

FWIW, the "original format" consisted of:

A page in your DokuWiki was added or changed. Here are the details:

Date        : @DATE@
Browser     : @BROWSER@
IP-Address  : @IPADDRESS@
Hostname    : @HOSTNAME@