[CF-Devel] race patch, race face in cpl.ob->face and the "server don't send version bug"

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Sun Dec 10 22:02:09 CST 2000

Michael Toennies wrote:

      Hi

      I have worked out a new login interface for the dx client,

      and i want see the race face to the player, when he select his

      race. At the moment, the face is shown on the map, but not in the

      cpl.ob->face where later the players picture is.

      Can this please fixed, so i can get the race face from cpl.ob->face?

 Fix is in CVS now.

      I also finished the server login. Now the dx client show all servers and

      test them for ping and online.

      The client do it yet in the way, that he try a connect to the server, get

      the

      version cmd and log out then. This is the easiest way to test for speed and

      server online.

 Yeah.  It probably doesn't scale well if there are 100 servers to test, or if
there are thousands of users doing this against the servers.  But either way, at
current time, not a big deal.

      I noticed there, that the server crossfire.jyu.fi is just in this nasty

      server

      bug state. This is also a old server problem: The server is running, and you

      get

      a connect, but he never answered to the version cmd, so client and server

      freeze

      after connect. I thought the bug was removed?

 This will happen in the following situations:
1) Server is running under debugger and has crashed, awaiting input from user.
2) Server is in an infinite loop.
3) Server is suspended (sigstop or the like)

 In both cases, the server has opened the socket to receive connections, which
is why you can connect, but is yet to get in a state where connections will fail
(for example, in case #1, if the server just crashes and generates a core, that
machine won't accept connections anymore).

 all the situations above are rare, and if you want/need to handle this, you
will need to put some timeouts in your client for the connection and request
back.