[CF-Devel] New AV patch triggers OLD map bug, apparently:

Peter Mardahl peterm at tesla.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Dec 20 17:56:16 CST 2000

So the new map patch seems to be triggering some OLD bugs in crossfire.
I've looked at AV's code, and I do not believe he's
done anything wrong.

Here is MichToen's description of what happens:
<MichToen> hi
<MichToen> the new map patch seems to invoke some stranges to the game
<MichToen> in the jones house for example you appear in the middle of the
+house
<MichToen> also player reports, that happens in shops too

      heh

      I tried that patch once and withdrew it

      but the effects were worse

     <MichToen> it seems that the only effect... the general shop in scorn is
+effected, the other not...

This sort of weird behavior is partly why I did the Word of Recall
into the Hall of Selection hack, except the problems I saw were more
severe.  I'd tried essentially the same thing AV has done:  his
side effects are much less severe than the ones I saw, however.

So I challenge the crossfire developers:

1)  WHY IS AV'S PATCH TRIGGERING THIS WEIRD BEHAVIOR?
2)  WHAT CAUSES THE INTERMITTENT MAP BUG WE SEE?

Regards,

PeterM

      I wanted to clean up the character creation process,

      so I wrote a patch to change the initial map from "/city/city"

      (scorn) to "/HallOfSelection", as it was originally intended.

      Of course I also took care about updating the players death-

      respawn position after walking through one of the player_changers

      (-> class change). And I modified the HallOfSelection a bit.

      This I have tested, and since it worked fine I put it on CVS.

      So far so good. What still bothers me a little is the fact

      that Peter M. has tried to do the exact thing some time ago,

      and he had to face very big troubles instantly (memory violation:

      a map cut into half?!).

      Fortunately Peter's problems did not show up with my patch, but

      there was still a little weirdness that I want to mention:

      There was an old map-bug in "/city/kar/drink" - startx, starty

      was missing although needed (must point to 1,1).

      Don't ask me why but this bug did not cause bad effect before

      my patch it seems. I fixed it now of course, and I hope it's

      the only bug of it's kind.

      Still, if anyone can think of possible explanations for this and

      that, please lemme know.

      Andreas V.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com