[CF-Devel] Bugs?

Michael Toennies michael.toennies at nord-com.net
Sat Dec 23 12:08:47 CST 2000

      Bob Tanner wrote:

      > Before I hit bugzilla, I am seeing this in the logfiles:

      > BUG: SK_level(arch altar, name altar of detect magic (10 gp)):

      level <= 0

      > BUG: SK_level(arch altar, name altar of detect curse (25 gp)):

      level <= 0

      > This really a bug?

       I would say they are bugs, but not really serious bugs.

       Basically, the server code will complain anytime a spell is cast

      by a 0 level

      object.  Those altars are casting the spell at 0 level.  For

      those particular

      spells, it doesn't make a difference, as those two spells at

      least don't have

      any level variations.

       My guess for a fix would be to edit the maps those objects occur

      on and change

      the altars to have level 1.

Also in answer to your CF editor mail following this:

To fix and in first case to find and SHOW this kind of "side effects"
should be part of the editor.

Like Mark wants a key which shows the trigger connection between map object,
there should be a "test map" key, which runs through a map and test these
things.

Like finding these possible altar bug, giving then a warning message, but
also find unattached
triggers, etc.

These kind of rules can be easy implemented in some kind of script language.

This isn't a big coding part, but much more than just a feature. It will cut
off most of this
kind of glitches and makes maps more understandable. I think this is a
problem with the current
editor, that he is not very "user friendly" in his interface and it is
laking this kind
of "self explaining" and features.

Remember, that we are the people thats knows at most about CF. All other
knows alot less.
So, the editor should remember this and giving this people the help to
understood CF and
the map system.

Its easy: If a guy needs to much CF interna to make maps and using the
editor, he will perhaps
start to go in code and mailing list to learn it (many will not) but in all
cases, this time is
lost for map making. And because this is a hobby for all of us, these people
will not spend unlimited
time in CF. Also, there is often a kind of "middle interesting time" in
things like games.

If this interest runs out, people will drop it. It should be a goal, to give
this kind of people a
map editor which they can use, and which collect a nice set of maps from
them, before they leave CF.

Ok, this is somekind of "to strategic" and perhaps it will not really work,
but the other side works
always: It the editor to complex or bad in interface, we will lake in maps.

And for me i can say, that i find the work with the editor in this state not
very comfortable.
It don't gives me the wish to implement big set with it.

MichToen