[CF-Devel] Non-cumulative spells

Pertti Karppinen (OH6KTR) pjka at cc.jyu.fi
Thu Dec 28 07:36:54 CST 2000

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 08:55:00PM +0100, Andreas Vogl wrote:

      Pertti Karppinen wrote:

      > Non cumulative spells (can only be casted once, or atleast has effect

      > only on first cast) are ok and needed for protection type spells.

      > BUT: strength and armour spells allowed a big wizard to get his strength

      > up to 30 and advance his/her phys skill. It seems this is no longer

      > possible (atleats on MiDS server).

      This is no longer possible indeed, and for good reason IMHO:

      Pushing Str to 30 and armour to 99% doesn't seem acceptible to me,

      especially not for wizards.

      > As wizards have low strength by nature, lot of

      > areas become unsolveable to wizards, or really really really hard to

      > solve, if you cannot pump up your strength.

      You can still pump your strenght via equipment: like rings, enchanted

      weapons etc.. - temporarily, when you need it. Do you think that wearing

      all those wizard rings/amulets/robes PLUS boosting Str 30/ armour 99% is

      fair?

      I think that isn't being a wizard, that is being a wizard and a babarian

      all at once.

OK. So basically we just then neutered wizards. There are a lot of quests
and maps in the game now, that are only playable with hack'n'slash style. No
spells every where on a map makes it impossible to wizard to get through.
And a lot of those great things you can use to pumb up your 17 maximux str
towars 30 are on maps that have this restriction (no spells and unholy
ground).

If consensus is that strength spell (constitution and armour don't need to
be cumulative) is to be left uncumulative, we need maps for wizards only,
that have no-melee floors!!! Otherwise wizards are a big joke. They can get
to 100+ level, but they cannot get best equipment with the str 17. Try
mwizard for example: corridoor of skulls is way easy to clear with spells
only ... NOT! Then a barbarian can easily run through it hacking and slashing
skulls as he goes. And try killing Fonz and Oppie with str 17. Way easy to
kill with spells :)
--
BSc. Pertti Karppinen <

     pjka at iki.fi

     >                   |'Bridge Players |
Systems Designer, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland    |      Do        |

     http://www.iki.fi/~pjka/

      | Office  : +358 14 260 2088 |      It        |
HAM: OH6KTR QTH: KP22UF  | Cellular: +358 40 564 0786 | on the Table'  |