[CF-Devel] Sorig

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Fri Dec 29 07:55:14 CST 2000

Michael T. wrote:

      I never think about it, but i build now a new char and play a bit.

      I changed to god Sorig and then i see that sorig is now pretty useless.

      Because the PR system, protection spells are now VERY important.

      I think no one want play without them. Well, a sorig follower can't cast

      a single protection spell.

      I really love sorig. He was a nice strong god, without big advantages

      and without big drawbacks. Because prot. spells are not so useful befor

      PR, no one notice that they are denied.

      Remember his drawbacks he still has

      - no enemy race

This is not too much of a drawback...

      - he don't uncurse! (major drawback for uncurse stat potions until you

        max out)

...but that one is nasty. Sorig followers always need a second char to
uncurse potions. A pain indeed, and no point (-> second char does the job).
I think the effect is caused by denied turning?
Maybe we should make all gods able to uncurse potions, independant
from any denied spellpaths?

      - he don't restore depletion. (i think so? or it is very hard?)

Not sure. And not too important.

      Also, some spells are denied or harder.

Denied turning: no holy word.

      So, Sorig is really not to powerful. His good powers are:

      - good avatar

      - good special spells in high levels (i think we can forget this as

        good power until you lost them when you change gods. Its not the big

        deal to change gods twice to collect spells).

You're wrong on this one. Players loose all god-given spells on conversion.
This has been done quite some time ago.
However, diseases have been toned down and should not be the ultimate
advantage anymore.

      - elec prot/immun as power

This still *is* Sorigs main advantage. Sorigs holy possession grants
elec +95% (adding on equipment!). It's freakin hard to get elec res. 95%
by equipment, and potions don't surpass 90%.
Elec is not as important as fire/cold, but think of places like the lair
of ancient blue dragons...

      As you see, he is balanced in my opinion. Also, he is a perfect

      alternative to mostrai for more experienced players.

      But with protection spell denied you can now forget him, he is really

      not longer a alternative.

      So i prefer:

      - make prot. spells not denied, make them perhaps harder to cast

       (more grace)

      This will bring him to old game balance.

Hm, hm... "old game balance"? - Sorig used to be unbalanced. =)
However, I think setting sorig to "repelled protection" might be
reasonable.
The first day with PR, I switched to Mostrai - due to protection
spells. And due to Mostrais blessing/holy possession (fire +30).
So there is some truth in Michael's point.

Generally about Gods: The new god intervention code is in cvs.
The god's arches have been split up into different "property arches"
like avatar, granted spells/items, etc.
All prerequesites for gods re-balancing seem to be completed now.

Andreas V.