[CF List] png images

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Sat Jul 1 13:50:40 CDT 2000

Jonathan Taporg wrote:

      Hello, all,

      I'm guessing that by adding PNG support, we've

      implicitly removed any color palette restrictions

      for created images?  While I can see the argument

      that some people may still run bitmap versions, I'd

      have more difficulty believing that people running

      CF in color would be restriced to 256 colors.  The

      reason the color is significant is that the new

      32x32 image size combined with unlimited color use

      would make creating images orders of magnitude easier

      for artists (like me :).

 There is still some color restrictions.  Anyone with an 8 bit display is
restricted to 256 colors, and 8 bit displays are still somehwat common.
Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a list anyplace of what colors he chose
were.  I guess it would not be too hard to write a simple script to extract the
color information from the png images.

      After having gone looked over the converted archs,

      I also composed the list png_todo.txt of png files

      which are as of yet in the ugly scaled up form.  In

      cases where I wasn't sure, I left the image name

      on the list.  I agree with another poster that

      a number of the images would look good if simply

      taken from their original xpm form, and converted

      to png without scaling.

 And for some objects, that probably does not create any harm, as just in terms
of scaling, some could easily be smaller than others.

      *whew*  Having done all of that, I figured it would

      only be right to bring up all of the comments and

      nitpicks I have.  Anyways...

      ... The image for a non-destructable earthwall has

      somehow changed to a pillar, making it trivial to

      tell apart from the destructable ones.

 I notice that the entire look of the wall/bwall has changed.  The normally
walls are a grey and not the yellow like the old ones, so thingsl like the
stoneblock and earthwall really stand out.

      ... With the isometric scheme that the newly drawn

      tiles are using, it would make sense for a two-space

      creature (for instance, a unicorn), to change shape

      if it changes direction and starts walking downward.

      Just wondering whether the server code would know

      how to handle such events gracefully. :)

 Nope - the dimension/x,y of multipart objects are not mean to be dynamic.  I
suppose that support could be added.

      ... Also regarding the isometric perspective - when

      an isometrically drawn monster shown facing south

      starts walking sideways, it looks slightly more

      awkward that if a flat iconic version of the monster

      starts walking sideways.  I think it's something to

      consider ... redrawing monsters isometrically may

      imply needing to draw the monster facing in other

      directions as well.

 This is supported by the server - any creature can have up to about 8 facings -
presently, pretty much only players actually have 8 facings, with most other
monters have 1, 2, or 4.

      ... Please please please be sure to save the original

      xpms somewhere, even with better pngs available, and

      even if all of the xpms end up removed from the arch

      directories.  There are a number of nice icons in

      that image set, and drawing well at 24x24 isn't easy.

 They will off course still be all those images in all the prior releases out on
the ftp servers.

      ... Has anyone tried going into a room full of

      kobolds, orcs, gnolls, ogres, madmen, and maybe

      zombies as well under the png image set?  I haven't,

      myself, but I bring it up because I wonder how easily

      distinguishable the different monsters are.

      Individually, they're well drawn, although their

      color schemes are all so similar, that I think it's

      worth checking to make sure that they do indeed

      succeed in looking different.

 Hopefully, there are not any maps that mix the different monster types so
badly.