[CF List] png images

Frank McKenney frank_mckenney at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 6 18:37:26 CDT 2000

Norbert Irmer <

     norbert.irmer at heim9.tu-clausthal.de

     > wrote:

      I think it would do no harm to allow the number of colors to be

      unlimited,

      Since you can setup a true color palette even on a 8 bit display, for

      example

      by using 3 bits for red, 3 bits for green, and 2 bits for blue.

      (I did this a few years ago when using a self written opengl renderer

     on

      an old

      sun workstation with 8 bit display, and the results were quite

      acceptable)

      Then the game would still still be playable on old 8 bit displays, and

      the

      artists have any freedom they want.

Norbert,

Every freedom brings its own set of restrictions (;-).

I worked with a local graphics company a few years back when reasonably-
priced 8-bit color was a relatively new thing:  I contributed some
technical expertise, and they knew "what looked good".  It was a
definite "learning experience" (;-).

If one's normal working environment is "lotsa colors" (e.g.  24-bit,
8:8:8 color) it can be extremely difficult to create _good_ 256 color or
3:3:2 color images.  It's all to easy to create a stunning 8:8:8 color
image whose impact turns around the use of subtle shadings; when these
are converted ("butchered") to fit a palette (or the fixed palette of
3:3:2 color) those shadings are often lost.  What was an amazing 8:8:8
red robe becomes a blob with perhaps two shades of red.

For what you're suggesting, you'd have to view your images in both
modes, then go back and tweak the high-color images, and repeat this
process until _both_ sets looked good.  The graphics people usually
found it was a lot less work to create their images in 256-color or
3:3:2 color mode to start with.

Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates
Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887
E-mail: