[CF List] png images

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Tue Jul 4 22:14:23 CDT 2000

Norbert Irmer wrote:

      I think it would do no harm to allow the number of colors to be unlimited,

      Since you can setup a true color palette even on a 8 bit display, for example

      by using 3 bits for red, 3 bits for green, and 2 bits for blue.

      (I did this a few years ago when using a self written opengl renderer on an old

      sun workstation with 8 bit display, and the results were quite acceptable)

      Then the game would still still be playable on old 8 bit displays, and the

      artists have any freedom they want.

 I think there is a difference of philosphy here.

 While there may be some workarounds/changes that can be done for the client, as
I've stated in the past, I see no reason to go that route unless it is really
needed.

 Having it be 'more convenient' to have unlimited colors for png does not
qualify in there really needed category.  It strikes me as the easy way out
(which in terms of crossfire, I generally despise, as these easy ways out then
tend to get fixed up by someone else later).

 Given that, most likely only images which follow the color scheme set forth are
ever likely to make it into the official distribution.  If someone says 'well,
there is no color close to what I really need so I want to add another one', I
don't have a problem with that.  If instead, the image doesn't use any of the
colors and the reason is 'I just didn't want to look at the approved color
list', that image is unlikely to get into the official tree.

 This is fairly harsh standards.  OTOH, the current images with the limited
color set look very good, and to me, that sort of says that even with limited
color sets, very good artwork can be done, so ability to use every color is not
needed.

 Note that if you really want the freedom to develope in any color you want,
feel free.  It probably would not be hard at all to write a simple script the
uses the netpbm utilities to convert whatever images to the 'approved' colors.