[CF List] Re: png images

Jonathan Taporg taporg at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 8 18:34:19 CDT 2000

scott wrote:

      CF is not a 3D imersion game where limited colors interfer with

      the desired realism.  It is an overhead map with objects on

     squares.

      Rings are almost as large as players and so on.  The goal is not

      realism, but recognition.  The question is whether the player can

      easily see and identify the item.

I think that given that recognition has already been completely
achieved, and that full color images can be easier to create and
can look better than 8 bit images (see my other mail for a link to an
image which provides a basis for comparison), the question is whether
full color support can be added without undue penalty.

I think that the nature of the penalty is somewhat less than
obvious.  I don't believe that there's any programatical penalty
or image size penalty (most of the tiles would probably be saved
as 8 bit images anyways).  I even believe that so long as the images
can be quantized by the client and still look reasonable (as I
mentioned in my other mail, I believe that it's currently possible
but not completely sure), the 256 color workstation audience would
not be sacrificed.

However, I think that if the graphics are made more salient, the
target audience may shift subtly, from players who enjoy roguelike
games and who find multiplayer and graphics a bonus, to players who
would otherwise be playing something like Diablo II, and who might
consider crossfire somewhat inferior.

-j