[CF List] PNG Images

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Wed Jun 28 23:57:39 CDT 2000

John Cater wrote:

      I have just downloaded the latest versions of the server and client from

      the cvs tree and got png support from gcfclient.

      All I can say is - Wow.  I LOVE the large size of the images, and some

      of the new images are BRILLIANT, particularly dwarves, guards etc.

      Who did all this? Are they going to finish the rest?

 David Sundqvist did the work.  I believe at the time, all were done, but some
additional images have been added since he did the work.

      Some of the downlights though are : the ocean, lakes and magic shops.

      Also, the black border around many of the items is annoying.

 I'll have to look at them.  i noticed that at least on my system, imlib does
not render all png's properly - this is definately a problem with imlib, as if I
use a simple demo program from their website, it is not rendered properly, but
other tools like gimp and imagemagick do the right thing.  All our built on top
of png, so I don't think it is a problem with the underlying png library.

      Is there any possibility of running :

      crossedit -png?

 As of right now, no.  It probably would not be really hard to add, but I
haven't had time to really look at all that in crossedit.  Certainly, all the
hardcoded 24 image sizes would need to be redone to be image_size (24 or 32
depending on image type being used), and that also would correspond for things
like map tiling and scroll lists.  The loader could probably be taken pretty
easily from the client the server code (which parses the png file)

      Once more images are made nicer, I would recommend that png become our

      default image format.

      How can I easily edit the images myself if I want to help?

 If you have a tool that reads them, not too hard.  Gimp will do it, and I
believe some non unix tools like photoshop also supports png.

 What I would really like (if anyone really knows the png stuff) is a png -> X11
loader without all the extra buggy stuff imlib tosses in.  There are a few
reasons for this:

 1) As describe above, imlib doesn't do all images correctly.
 2) There is no way I could find to render a png already in memory to a pixmap.
There is a function in imlib that will I think do that, but it just writes it to
temp file first, which seems really stupid.
 3) Imlib adds lots of functionality that is not needed, and also adds another
library dependency, which makes it a bit less user friendly than say Xpm (which
while not standard, you can at least find precompiled version of the Xpm library
for a wide variety of platforms, like solaris.)