[CF-Devel] Stamina draining.

dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au
Fri Nov 10 01:22:00 CST 2000

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Mark Wedel wrote:

      dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au

       wrote:

      > I was thinking of creating a whole new attack_type, hp_draining. What it

      > would do is take the normal dam off monsters current hp, and give the

      > attacker say 3-5% of that value onto current hp. This can obviously be

      > balanced, decreased increased etc. but the idea I think is good.

      > I am willing to have a shot at coding it and am seeking general opinion

      > before I consider how to do it. This kind of power would be suited for

      > weapons that may need balancing and also may be useful to some new items I

      > am creating. Perhaps even giving this attack_type to creatures would make

      > some things more hardy, (vampires for example ;). As an example we could

      > remove the aggressive spells they vampire can sometimes have, ie fire ice

      > lightning, and in turn give it this skill which would make it more of a

      > physical threat. Just a thought. =)

       Since weapons with attacktype drain are currently pretty much useful against

      monsters, maybe it would just be better to add that to the current drain code.

      Ie, drain attacktype takes both HP and experience.

yes I did have that thought.. but,
Firstly as you saiud balance, many monsters that currently have drain may
become even more powerful (may be good or bad) and also players will be
able to really pump the hp at VERY high levels. This is the main reason I
suggest it be a unique attack_type (yes I understand that is a pain). I
don't like the idea of some weapons getting even more powerful.. none the
less it remains an option to just improve drain.

This idea can also be implemented for hp -> sp and hp -> gr (which I
really like cause that could be a reward for attacking (ruggilli for
instance is the kind of god I believe would bless players for
killing/attacking things). Infact that last idea could be taken to, only
do that for slaying monster.. =))

Titans are a good point, do we need to do something with them? perhaps
give them fork lightning ;). Cause currently one holy word from mostrai
and no more titans... although.. I have been working on balancing gods..
and mostrai has now got some vun to deal with. Maybe I could put vun elec
in there? (currently para, poison and possibly confuse?

anyway.. ill put the god balance stuff I have been doing up on a web
server soon so you can tell me what you think on that (Gnarg and lythander
have been given a nice boost ;)

dnh (Darth_bob)

       That way, if you have a weapon with attacktype drain, at least it has some use.

       That would certainly be easier to do.

       Balancing will be hard to do for this because monsters have so many more hp

      than players.  And the fact is, the tougher monsters where you are more likely

      to die are also the places where you are more likely to fighting high hp

      monsters.

       For example, I think with draining, fighting a titan may become quite a bit

      easier - if you are getting 10 hp back every few ticks, it may now be very

      difficult for the titan to dish out enough damage to kill a player.