[CF-Devel] bugfix: unique maps

Andreas Vogl andi.vogl at gmx.net
Tue Nov 21 20:17:02 CST 2000

On Wed 22.11.00 Chris L. wrote:

      > I´ve already written a bugfix for that problem. It does

      > the following:

      > Every time a player leaves a unique map, there´s a check

      > if that map already exists in the player-dir. If not,

      > the unique map will be saved instantly after the player left.

      Ok, except just save the map if changed please. There is an old

      cheat/do yourself in: 1) put items into your apartment,

                            2) wait until the apartment gets saved,

                            3) take items out of apartment,

                            4) save your self,

                            5) crash server.

                            6) Items still in apartment and on your person.

                            7) wash, rinse, repeat.

      I have benefited and been bitten by this, I'd really like

      it to go away.

NO. The problem that you describe has nothing to do with my
bugfix. And it has nothing to do with perm. apartments either.
You can do it on any map: Save, pass stuff to other character,
save other character, crash server.

There´s only one way to prevent it: We must whipe out point 5) -
"crash server" that is the critical point. Once we got rid of
every bloody way to crash the server we´re settled.

And this goal is no longer unreachable far away. The last way to
willingly crash the server (that I know of) is a buffer overflow
when speaking a very long sentence with winclient.
I bet this one is easy to fix, but I can´t debug under linux
due to lack of winclient. I´d need the help of one of the admins
of the online servers... Or maybe someone else knows how to fix it
right away?
All other obvious crash-bugs have been fixed in CVS as far as I know.

Andreas V.