[CF-Devel] bugfix: unique maps

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Wed Nov 22 00:02:39 CST 2000

Andreas Vogl wrote:

      There´s only one way to prevent it: We must whipe out point 5) -

      "crash server" that is the critical point. Once we got rid of

      every bloody way to crash the server we´re settled.

 Correct.  There is no realistic scenario in that crossfire will guarantee data
integrity in all cases.  We could attempt to do so, but the performance costs
would be pretty terrible (for example, if whenever you saved one player, you
saved them all, that would make it more difficult to cheat, but saving 15
players on the same tick would likely cause noticable pauses here and there).

      And this goal is no longer unreachable far away. The last way to

      willingly crash the server (that I know of) is a buffer overflow

      when speaking a very long sentence with winclient.

      I bet this one is easy to fix, but I can´t debug under linux

      due to lack of winclient. I´d need the help of one of the admins

      of the online servers... Or maybe someone else knows how to fix it

      right away?

 I thought I already fixed that.  In fact, from the CHANGES file:
server/c_chat.c: Add standard banner to top of file.  Fix say command so
that it does not crash the server if something beyond 256 characters is
spoken - extra data is just truncated.  MSW 5/22/2000